Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Things are looking up

I've been really bad about updating lately. Just too much going on. My blog will probably be fairly quite until i move back to Omaha as I will be very busy for the next week weeks, but please don't take me off your links, I will be updating again frequently once I settle in at home. Well, my back has finally been getting better. The physical therapy is really helping. Now my legs ache a lot because I am not used to using them so much. I have to bend my knees now when I want to reach something low, not just bend over. I really over did it on Thursday. I had physical therapy in the morning and then it was so beautiful outside I decided to take a really long walk and listen to my ipod. I ended up walking for like two hours. Then I went to the park, sat by the pond and read for a while with ducks and geese walking all around me. It was a wonderful day. The next two days however I could hardly walk. It was worth it though.

Today I found out some wonderful news. I am definitely getting the transfer to a store in Omaha, and I get to keep my same salary. This means that I will be able to easily make rent and probably pay my bills in two weeks and the other paycheck can go towards savings, or going out or whatever. This is a huge relief. I will probably have a bit of a commute to work. To keep my pay rate I have to work in a high traffic store and those are kind of spread out. One is on 50th and Dodge, two are in Council Bluffs, and the other one is like near Belleview I believe. Worth the commute though for the extra money.

Lately I have also been in full blown Rent obsession. I've watched the movie three times, once with commentary. I watched all the special features including a 2 hour documentry on the writer/composer which left me in tears almost the entire time. In case you know nothing about his story he struggled for years to get Rent going, poured his soul into it, based a lot of it on his life and experiences, and the night before it went into previews off Broadway, he died suddenly of an aortic aneurysm. He never got to see his dreams come true. He never got to see it become an overnight success. He didn't get to accept his Tony awards, or his Pulitzer or any of the other awards he had won. Its just such a tragic story I couldn't help but cry. This is my favorite musical, and it touches me so much that I cry every time I see it. And considering that I saw it performed four times and have seen the movie now five times that is really saying something. Even with the commentary on I was moved to tears. There is such an amazing heart and soul to this show and it has touched so many people. Its so sad to think that the creator of it did get a chance to enjoy his well earned success. I am currently reading (well by tomorrow I will be finished with it) the autobiography of one of the original cast memebers of Rent Anthony Rapp entitled Without You. You may know him as the blond nerdy guy from Dazed and Confused. He also got to reprise his role of Mark in the movie. His story too is touching and a bit tragic. While he was working on Rent his mother was diagnosed with cancer and about a year into its run on Broadway she died. And if you have seen Rent you know its about living while facing a deadly disease. I can't image how difficult it must have been for him to doing this show while his mother was dying. So after watching and reading all of this over the weekend I am emotionally drained. I can't remember when the last time I cried this much. At least its not because of something horrible happening to me, its just because of my overwhelming empathy for others.

Well I guess that is a good enough update for now, i must get some sleep.

4 Comments:

At 2/14/2006 11:10 AM, Blogger Bourgeois Dave said...

Jesus Christ Superstar was a better musical than Rent. Discuss.

 
At 2/14/2006 1:43 PM, Blogger AliKat said...

You can't make that comparison until you have actually seen Rent :P

 
At 2/14/2006 2:10 PM, Blogger Bourgeois Dave said...

immaterial!

 
At 2/14/2006 4:52 PM, Blogger david golbitz said...

I've always been rather partial to Fiddler on the Roof.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home